Monday, March 17, 2014

Yambuk shorebirds

Identifying small shorebirds still takes me a little while. It took me some time to realise that there were three species among the dozen or so birds I was observing at Yambuk recently. The cogs turn slowly …. "Red-capped plovers (easy) .… and I think a single Red-necked stint …. but what is that other slightly larger plover I haven't seen here before?" (context is everything)

Subsequently Double-banded plover was readily confirmed and I will now be more confident when I next come across these guys having spent some time observing on them on this occasion!

Double-banded plover, Yambuk estuary, Vic
DBP with Red-necked stint and Red-capped plover at rear.
1-2 birds only per lump of seaweed please!
Red-capped plovers with stint
Typical Southern Ocean "breeze" - wind-blown sand and sea spray affecting visibility. I often remind myself that the birds live in these conditions 24/7.



The walk back to the car park can be either along the beach or the raised dune has a fenced nature trail. This affords views across Yambuk Lake (Great egret, pelican, cormorant species, Royal spoonbill and Musk duck). The coastal scrub provides habitat for species other than shorebirds...

The call of the Singing honeyeater has a slightly musical note at times but it does not "sing"!

Silvereyes look to be catching the late afternoon sunshine
Sharing with Wild Bird Wednesday!



Bird on!


12 comments:

  1. Without a doubt shorebirds are one of the most difficult families to positively identify with certainty at times. I guess the old adage is true. Practice makes perfect. I find that getting to know foraging strategies helps quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely David! I will study those foraging behaviours more closely!

      Delete
  2. I saw DBP's for the first time the other wkd at Observation Point. Although it wasn't until I got home and looked at them on the computer that I realised I was looking at a different species!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that's Obsie Point Phillip Island then I've seen them there as well and had a similiar experience! I'm finding them such an interesting bird.

      Delete
  3. The time of year you see a bird can also help with identification. Some nice shots there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! And the DBPs have such a unique migration pattern - I'm really starting to get a feel for them!

      Delete
  4. Love the ones with all 3 in the frame Pete. Well done with the ID of the DBP. Northerlies earlier in the year and now southerlies, no wonder they have the wind farm there! R

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great series of shots. Beautiful birds and love the coastline shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The coast is beautiful and I love the shore birds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures of the waders in their environment, Pete. Identifying birds is like learning a language. The problem is if you change your environment you forget what was learned. Well I have anyhow. I learned a lot about waders visiting Altona back in the 90s back now I look at wader pictures and draw a blank despite their beauty. This looks like a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great set of pictures - like the DBP - I have no pictures of that species. I was told recently that the way to start ID waders in our neck of the woods is to first check that its not a Red-Necked Stint, a Sharp-Tailed Sandpiper or a Curlew Sandpiper first - and in the majority of cases you can stop there as most of your waders are one of these 3! Not really true in a beach, but I like it as a method.

    I had to look up the difference between the black-necked and black-winged stilts.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete