Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Birds return to a re-established wetland, Phillip Island

Fishers Wetland is a very accessible wetland situated on Phillip Island.  With sealed road access just a few minutes off the main Phillip Island Tourist route, car park, boardwalk and bird hide things don't get much easier. During a recent visit I took some time to read the explanatory signage which talked a little of the history of this re-established wetland (at bottom of post).

Here's a little of what I saw this day.

White-plumed honeyeater was the "honeyeater of the day"

White-plumed honeyeater. This bird demonstrated its acrobatics while feeding on inset larvae (I think) in the bushland section of the wetland reserve



There were a few comings and goings.


Black swan
Black-winged stilt and Red-kneed dotterel. I do love catching up with stilts. The shots below show what they do with that long bill.

In Australia we call these Purple swamphen Porphyrio porphyrio
Swamp harrier paid a visit and caused some havoc
Superb fairy-wren
Dusky moorhen

Farmland as recent as 1998! That seems like a really quick turn around to me!

Sharing with Wild Bird Wednesday


Bird on!

11 comments:

  1. Fantastic shots! I love that Black Swan! Great reflection, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great variety of beautiful birds in the wetland. Nice to know that some wetlands are being brought back. The black swan and its reflection is especially beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, awesome variety of birds. Your photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve Love that White-plumed Honeyeater in all its positions but th Black Swan with the reflection is my favorite. Stunning. Look at my post tomorrow (Wed) as I am going all Australian!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A terrific series. I really like the black swan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many beautiful birds. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful birds! I love the black swan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful post! Great variety of birds, interesting information and excellent photographs!
    Thank you for sharing it all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful shots, Pete! What a great variety of birds. I have added this spot to my list of "must visits".

    ReplyDelete