Thursday, July 18, 2013

Birdin' in da city

I grabbed 45 minutes to visit the very metropolitan Westgate Park, Port Melbourne. Of the pictures taken I was most pleased with this shot of an Australasian grebe.

Australasian grebe Tachybaptus novaehollandiae
"Aargh! My reflective toupee has come off" 
I'm not sure why the bill of this New Holland Honeyeater looks over-sized! 
That's a little more like it!
Chestnut teal and Pacific Black Duck looked very much at home
Pacific black duck - motoring towards a prospective feed - none forthcoming!
As I was leaving I spotted this dull bird I take to be a Golden whistler (female / immature)

I invite you to click the Location geotag to see where Westgate Park fits into this very industrial area nestled amongst freeway, port and factories.


A little Instagram filter action happening in this shot!
Bird on!

2 comments:

  1. Beaut report PS,
    Nice to see such species in the middle of Melbourne. (Heyfield Birdwatchers have a saying - 'Always had a good day in the bush when you see a Golden Whistler). Lets hope the locals appreciate the place. I have to say, from the bridge it does look as though they have done a good job.
    Regards,
    Gouldiae.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the female Golden Whistler - and I wouldn't know for sure either. I know I LOVE the male with it's out there yellow and black plumage. If only I could get a photo of one! You picked up some nice shots

    ReplyDelete